This recipe utilizes chick pea flour and whole wheat flour with corn for a tasty snack item. Can be served with chutney. Makes 24- 30 small fritters.
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup chick pea flour (besan flour)
- 2 ¼ cups fresh corn kernels (cut off cobs) or canned corn kernels, drained
- 4-6 fresh green chilies (optional)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil, plus oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt (plain)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Mix all ingredients, except oil, yoghurt and baking soda in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons of oil and when it is very hot pout it over the mixture in the bowl and fold in.
- In a separate bowl, combine yoghurt and baking soda. Add to the corn and flour mix to bind the batter.
- Heat oil for frying and form batter into little balls about 1/2 tablespoon at a time. Fry a few at a time in hot oil for 1 -2 minutes, (can be deep fried) turning them with a slotted spoon. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Any vegetable may be substituted for or added to the corn. Chop the vegetables in small pieces. As option, add cheese or tofu to the fritter batter.
Source: The Yoga Cookbook. Vegetarian Food for Body and Mind. Recipes from the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres. 1999.
Purity of food leads to purity of mind. – Sri Swami Sivananda
CHITTA: The subtle energy that is the substance of the mind.
VRITTI: Thought-wave; mental modification; mental whirlpool; a ripple in the chitta.
Pure Consciousness is Brahman/the Absolute. Pure Consciousness is the same as Pure Bliss. – Sri Swami Sivananda