BANANA NUT TART
A wholesome oven baked pie crust with a delicious fruit and nut filling cooked on stove top. The pie is chilled until set in refrigerator. Serves 8.
Ingredients for PIE CRUST:
2 ½ cups rolled oats
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon honey or date syrup
2/3 cup oil
2 1/3 cups sunflower seeds
Water for mixing
Ingredients for FILLING:
1 ¼ cups cashew nuts
5 ounces pitted dates
4 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons arrowroot
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 bananas, plus slices for decoration
1 ¾ cups chopped walnuts
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch loose-bottomed round tart pan or spring form pan.
To make the piecrust:
1. Mix all the ingredients together, adding a little water to bind them.
2. Spread the mixture in the greased pan, using your hand to spread the mix and press evenly around the bottom and side of the pan.
3. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
4. Leave the pie shell to cool completely before removing from the pan.
To make the filling:
1. Put all the ingredients, except for the bananas and chopped walnuts, in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
2. Transfer the mixture to a pan and cook over low heat until thick.
3. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
4. Slice the bananas into the pie shell.
5. Pour the cooled filling on top and decorate with banana slices and the chopped nuts.
6. Chill until set.
This recipe is an edited contribution for the Sivananda Gurugram, sourced from The Yoga Cookbook: “Food for Body and Mind – Recipes from the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres” – 1999.
Empty yourself of you egoism then the Divine will fill your heart to the brim. – Sri Swami Sivananda
01 Full Moon
01 Full Moon
Sacrifice is truly the sacrifice of egoism. Realize the Self or Atman. You will then realize that Life is a waking dream. – Sri Swami Sivananda
ANTARYAMIN – The Inner Self. the Inner Controller. The Supreme Indweller.
The Inner Controller that exists in a person. The Antatyamin manifests intuitively to that person.
May the Lord, the Antaryamin, the Supreme Indweller, inspire all to attempt mind-control and Yoga. May He bestow success on the sincere aspirants that struggle to master the unruly mind. May you reach the Goal of Life, Immortality, Supreme Knowledge and Bliss. – Swami SivanandaEquip yourself with these means: Hear. Reflect. Meditate. Then alone can you have Self Realization. – Sri Swami Sivananda
SWADHARMA – swa, own; dharma, duty
Dharma means the way, literal law or duty. A person’s swadharma is their own unique role in life or way of being in the world, which it is their duty to realize and fulfill.
Equip yourself with these means: Hear. Reflect. Meditate. Then alone can you have Self Realization. – Sri Swami Sivananda